Words and Video by Tehillah McGuiness
Simply put, your core is a complex series of muscles, extending far beyond your abs. It is the area of the body, which is commonly referred to as your midsection and it involves all your muscles in that area including the front, back and sides. The core includes the traverse abdominis (TVA), erector spinae, obliques and your lower lats.
These muscles work as stabilizers for the entire body and are incorporated in almost every movement of the human body so strengthening these muscles in the right way is absolutely imperative to ensure you not only gain the most out of your surfing sessions but also avoid injury.
The Core exercise I have chosen for this workout are ‘simple’ but super effective exercises and have easier variations for those who are still building up their core strength. They cater to all levels and the best part is that you can do them absolutely anywhere. For the exercises that include weights, please make sure you use a weight that suits your ability and if you don’t have weights you can substitute with water bottles or even books. Children are also really good (so long as they are yours) 🙂
Hints and Tips
- Never compromise technique for reps. Incorrect training methods will do more harm than good.
- Remember that throughout each movement, focus on drawing your belly button towards your spine and maintaining a strong core throughout these exercises. Yes, it will burn but this is a sign that your core needs to be strengthened. If you can only do 20 seconds or even 10 seconds of each exercise instead of od 40 seconds then stick to that time and build up over time.
- Keep squeezing your glutes throughout each movement as this will help to keep your body in the correct alignment.
- We are all on different levels and the most important thing to remember is DO NOT GIVE UP! YOU’VE GOT THIS!
- Don’t forget to breathe!
- Rule number 1…Have Fun!
Things to remember
- Equipment needed: A fitness mat if you have one, otherwise, a nice soft carpeted area will do just fine. Optional -Weights of your choice or any weighted object that is safe to lift for the exercises shown. A bottle of water.
- Before doing any of these exercises please ensure that you take into account any existing injuries you may have and adapt the exercises where necessary.
- I would suggest doing one or two rounds of the exercises and just focus on a few reps of each exercise slowly to warm your body up a little and check in with the areas I have made mention of in the video that you need to focus on targeting.