Healthy Living: Take care of yourself
Words by Hayley Shaw McGuinness
Sounds simple yeah? Its not really that simple as sometimes we get so busy in life that we don’t stop. We go change out of our wet wetsuit, head straight to work, then to the gym, followed by a quick dinner.
We forget about the simple things that ensure that our bodies and minds are operating at its highest potential. Here are some small simple reminders on a few of the little things that make a BIG difference.
1. Get enough sleep. The general rule of thumb is 8 hours but listen to your body, sometimes it needs more especially if you have been surfing or really active in your day.
Tip – Take time to relax before bed, drink some camomile tea and read a book.
2. Drink up buttercup. Our bodies are made up of more than 60% water. We need to constantly replenish the hydration levels in our body so everything inside functions well. I am a shocker for drinking water, I forget and find it plain & boring.
Tip – Add lemon, lime, orange or berries to make it a little more exciting and also take a water bottle everywhere you go for easy access.
3. Stretch it out. Do it before you surf or run or even just at night time whilst watching TV. Stretching will help you surf longer and will assist in you not getting injured. It also releases dopamine which helps you feel happier and more positive about the world.
Tip – Set some stretching goals, like you want to touch your toes or link your hands behind your back comfortably.
4. Eat for health and stay away from sugary foods. This is hard as it is often easier if you are tired to eat a take away pizza but your entire body will thank you if you go home and make a pizza with lots of fresh veggies and lean meat (without the sugar filled bbq sauce) Be prepared is key and do a good shop every week.
Tip – When you shop spend 80% of your time in the produce isle (Fruits, Veggies, Eggs, Milk, Meat) try to stay away from anything packaged is a easy way to ensure you are on the right track.
5. Listen to your body. If you are feeling tired and your body is sore and weak then rest it. recently I ran myself down so hard that I ended up in hospital, not fun! I need to listen to my body and respond and not listen to my brain that has a fear of missing out disorder. Now I sleep in if i’m tired, get a massage if my muscles are extra sore or run myself a bath.
Tip – Get some lectic crystals or epsom salts and run a warm bath and relax in there. It will do wonders for your sore paddling arms and back.
At the end of the day you only get one body and yes life should be full of fun and adventure but not at the detriment to your health. Make the time each day to do little things to make sure your body is running at 100% so you can surf hard, laugh alot, be good to your friends and chase adventure to your hearts content.